For the past few years, there has been a growing interest in DIY cleaners. Obviously, this interest was primarily caused by the coronavirus pandemic. Still, it should be noted that even before the pandemic, there was a large online community interested in homemade cleaners!
By learning how to make your own homemade cleaning products using simple ingredients is very beneficial to maintaining a super clean home. The funny thing is that you probably have these ingredients in your cupboard or storage room! Many of the daily ingredients you use to make biscuits and salad dressing are also suitable for cleaning.
Also, by the time you finish creating your homemade cleaners, make sure to label them! Although most of these products are safe, if a child or pet accidentally drinks them, it is helpful to know precisely what they drank. Here you have the list!
Many exciting mixes for homemade carpet deodorizers will make your carpet and floor look brand new. This homemade natural cleansing formula can be applied to any essential oil, so choose the essential oil that suits you best.
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 5 drops of any essential oil
- Mix the baking soda and cornstarch in a medium bowl, then add 5 drops of your favorite essential oil.
- Stir to mix the ingredients, then pour the mixture into a glass jar with a funnel.
- Poke holes in the lid of the jar.
- Sprinkle homemade deodorant on your carpet.
- Let the mixture sit for at least 30 minutes before applying a vacuum.
Homemade multi-purpose cleaner
You can use this natural cleaning formula as a multi-purpose cleaner for bathrooms, kitchens, etc. It is ideal for reducing bacteria and making the whole room smell fresh and clean.
- 3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon
- 5 drops of unscented oil
- 10 drops tea tree oil
- 20 drops lavender essential oil
- A water spray bottle
Put all the ingredients into a spray bottle. Shake well before use. Use it for general cleaning needs.
By mixing a couple of common ingredients, you can get your homemade air freshener. By creating a natural cleansing formula and adding new scents, you are making your freshener.
- Sliced oranges, lemons, and/or limes
- A handful of fresh herbs such as basil, rosemary, or lavender
- A couple of cinnamon sticks
- Place the ingredients in a medium-size pan.
- Fill it with about three-quarters of the water and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce to a gentle fire, and insert the scented ingredients. The mixture can be stored overnight.
- Put in an airtight jar or container and refrigerate, then boil and simmer the next day again.
Washing powder and rinse aid
By creating your very own washing powder and rinse aid, you will end up saving money. This recipe will work just like the ones you buy in the store, but you won’t have to spend a lot of money.
Ingredients for a homemade laundry detergent:
- 1 bar laundry soap
- 1 cup of borax
- 1 cup of washing powder
- 1 cup of oxygen bleach
- Ingredients for a homemade rinse aid:
- 1 gallon of distilled white vinegar
- drops of essential oil (optional)
- Get a laundry soap and turn it into 2 cups of grated soap.
- Mix it with the rest of the ingredients in a large bowl.
- For the rinse, mix the distilled white vinegar and the essential oil.
- Store in a jar with a lid.
- Use 2 scoops for light loads and 4 scoops for heavy loads.
- For the rinse aid, use ¼ cup in the rinse cycle.
As you know, baking soda can absorb unpleasant odors, while essential oils can freshen the air. Customize the intensity of the fragrance by changing the type and amount of essential oils used.
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- drops essential oils
- 1,1/2 cup water
- Use a funnel to add baking soda to the spray bottle. Add your essential oils.
- Fill the bottle with water and shake it gently to mix.
- Test in a small area to make sure it does not leave marks. Whenever you need to freshen up, spray it.
Clean all glasses with this simple homemade cleaner! If you want better results, buy a small pile of soft cotton or microfiber cloth.
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon detergent
- Add all ingredients into a spray bottle.
- Shake well.
- Use this formula to clean the glass of windows or appliances.
- In addition to this basic formula, you can also use rubbing alcohol to enhance the cleaning effect.
This easy-to-use dusting spray makes wood furniture look good, plus it leaves a fresh citrus scent. For your information, vinegar helps remove grease and dirt, olive oil makes wood shine, and essential oils leave a fresh smell.
- ½ cup of water
- ¼ cup of vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
- Drops of essential oil of your choice
- Mix all ingredients into a spray bottle and use as needed.
- Make sure to shake before each use because the water and oil will not mix for a long time.
Vinegar is an ideal ingredient for floor cleaning. Use it as a natural cleaning product to make the floor flawless.
- 1 gallon of distilled water
- 1/2 cup of vinegar
- Mix distilled water and vinegar in a bucket to scrub the floor. However, bear in mind that vinegar and other acid cleaners should not be used on stone floors.
Carpets are usually soft and fluffy, but unfortunately, this material is very absorbent and gets dirty quickly. However, natural carpet detergent products can be helpful. It is vital to match the type of stain with the kind of cleaner you are using.
For example, the following carpet stain remover formula is effective against protein-based stains such as blood, body fluids, and dairy products.
- 1/4 cup table salt
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup borax powder
- Mix the ingredients into a paste and apply to the stained area.
- Dry for 24 hours and use a vacuum. This mixture can kill bacteria and act as a deodorant when removing stains.
- After vacuuming, clean the area with water to remove residue.
- Wipe dry with a clean, dry cloth.
You might also like: Best 9 Everyday Products You Can Easily Make From Home