Want to travel on a budget? Say no more!
Some cities in America, like New York and San Francisco, are some of the world’s most expensive cities, but that doesn’t mean you can’t travel on a limited budget. After all, it is one of the countries with the largest land area in the world and has many incredible cities worth exploring. For experienced travelers, planning an affordable vacation is easy, as long as you know where to go.
By deviating slightly from the inaccessible track, if your budget is limited, you can get an amazing riding experience. We have compiled travel tips for the 6 most affordable vacation destinations in the United States. If your travel budget is tight, consider these destinations.
Locals affectionately call it Indianapolis or Indy, and it’s one of the cheapest places to live in America. Although the city center is usually the first stop, depending on your travel style, there are some interesting neighborhoods to explore.
With hotel rooms starting at around $100 a night, it’s one of the cheapest vacation destinations in the United States for those on a budget looking for an urban experience.
Things to do in Indianapolis:
- Enjoy 3,900 acres of forest at Eagle Creek Park
- Walkthrough historic Irvington and see old houses
- Visit during Halloween festivities
- Play sport at Riverside Park
- Biking along cultural trails
- Visit the American Indian Center in Indiana
- Dine at Indianapolis City Market
Indianapolis City Market is known as the crossroads of the United States, it is an ideal base for road trips to Chicago, Detroit, Columbus, Cincinnati, Louisville, Nashville, or St. Louis.
As another university city, Athens offers many options as one of the cheap cities to visit in the United States. Huge loads of activities and places of interest are free and more reasonable, so you can go through the weekend over here.
The great alternative of Atlanta is that Athens is a southern city with history and attractiveness. But student life brings live music, art, and many epidemic cultures. There are many outdoors and many special moments to enjoy after the day.
The apartments in the high season began at $ 140 for the entire location, and the hotel rooms come from approximately $ 100 per night.
Things to do in Athens:
- Visit the beautiful University of Georgia campus
- Walkthrough the Georgia Botanical Garden
- Visit the Georgia Museum of Art
- Visit the Athens Farmers Market
- Stroll the popular Firefly Trail
- Go to the cheap college town happy discount hour
Salt Lake City, Utah
Salt Lake City is famous for being the seat of Mormonism, but there is more to this capital city. If you are interested in visiting some national parks, this is a good starting point.
Go to Zion, Arches, Canyonlands, Capitol Reef, or Bryce Canyon National Park, and go out to enjoy the wonders of nature. Snow lovers also like to get into Salt Lake City before hitting the slopes.
Prices for apartments in the high season start at $104 for the entire place, and hotel rooms start at around $100 per night. If you are a social traveler or on a budget, dorms start from $27.
Things to do in Salt Lake City:
- Awe the Great Salt Lake
- Go skiing in winter
- Visit Temple Square
- Visit Utah Capitol
- Tour at the Family History Library
- Visit Antelope Island State Park
- Enjoy many outdoor concerts in Temple Square
San Antonio, Texas
There are only 7 UNESCO World Heritage sites in the United States, one of which is the Spanish Colonial Mission in San Antonio. If this is not enough to visit this interesting city, then you can go and see the wonderful food scene, the multi-level history, and the incredible outdoor adventures that you can enjoy.
The River Walk and Alamo are the most popular. However, San Antonio is one of the cheapest cities in the United States, especially compared to other Texas cities like Dallas, for many other reasons.
In peak season, apartments start at $120 for an entire place, and hotel rooms start at approximately $100 per night.
Things to do in San Antonio:
- Visit the Alamo
- Participate in the safari and drive to the Natural Wildlife Ranch
- Enjoy the lush Japanese tea garden
- Walk the popular Riverwalk
- Walk the San Jose Mission National Historic Park Antonio
- Explore the Natural Bridge Cave
- Schedule your Tamale Festival visit
- Visit the historic San Jose Mission
- Picnic in Brackenridge Park
Although it is not one of the cheapest cities to stay in or eat out in the United States, DC offers plenty of free activities. Sometimes travel is to balance the budget, right?
Admission to all Smithsonian museums is free. The Capitol and the White House are also free (required advance planning).
It’s amazing what you can do in the capital of this country at a low price or for free!
The peak season apartment starts at $130, and a hotel room is about $150 per night. If you are a social traveler and/or on a budget, dorms start at $35.
Things to do in DC:
- Wonder at the Air and Space Museum
- Stroll through the Portrait Gallery
- See some interesting pop culture exhibits at the American History Museum
- Go to the Garden Jazz Sculpture Garden on Friday night in summer or ice skating in winter
- In-depth study of the history of black Americans at the National Museum of African American History and Culture. This is not an easy visit, but a very important visit.
- Explore the American Art Museum
- Pretend to be a dinosaur at the Natural History Museum
Contact your local representative to get tickets to the US Capitol or the White House (Do this as soon as you know your travel date).
San Diego, California
Due to its outdoor lifestyle, San Diego is one of the cheapest cities in the United States. Where you can easily walk between destinations, enjoy outdoor activities, or even consider picnics in the park instead of expensive meals out.
You might need this for your picnic!
The peak season apartment starts at $150 for full rooms, and a hotel room is about $120 per night. If you are a social traveler and/or on a budget, dorms start at $32.
Things to do in San Diego:
- Go to the beach
- Picnic at Mission Bay Park
- Study in the historic old town with free entry to many buildings
- Stroll in the interesting Gaslamp area
- Walkthrough the popular shopping area of Embarcadero
- Stroll in the charming Balboa Park
- Hire a car and enjoy the view along 59 Mile Scenic Drive
You might also like: 8 Iconic American Locations You Can Visit for Free